The Holzman Foundation primarily funds requests within the Greater Portland area. Grants are made generally in the $500 to $10,000 range.
The Foundation does not provide funds for individuals, non-tax exempt organizations, other private foundations, or political organizations.
Grants are processed on a bi-annual application cycle. You may apply during one of the cycles per calendar year. The deadlines are as follows:
|Application Deadline||Grants Awarded|
|March 31||By June 30|
Please hold applications until Spring 2020.
|By December 31|
Please submit applications by mail only to:
The Holzman Foundation
PO Box 3168
Portland, OR 97208
I. PROPOSAL SUMMARY:
Please summarize in a short paragraph the purpose of your agency. Briefly explain why your agency is requesting this grant, what outcomes you hope to achieve, and how you will spend the funds if a grant is made.
II. NARRATIVE: Five pages maximum
A. Background – Describe the work of your agency, addressing each of the following:
- A brief description of its history and mission.
- The need or problem that your organization works to address, and the population that your agency serves, including geographic location, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical ability and language.
- Current programs and accomplishments. Please emphasize the achievements of the recent past.
- Number of paid full-time staff; number of paid part-time staff; number of volunteers
- Your organization’s relationships – both formal and informal – with other organizations working to meet the same needs or providing similar services. Please explain how you differ from these other agencies.
B. Funding Request – Please describe the program for which you seek funding:
If applying for general operating support, briefly describe how this grant would be used.
If your request is for a specific project, please explain the project including:
- A statement of its primary purpose and the need or problem that you are seeking to address.
- The population that you plan to serve and how this population will benefit from the project.
- Strategies that you will employ to implement your project.
- The proposed staffing pattern for the project, and the names and titles of the individuals who will direct the project.
- Anticipated length of the project.
- How the project contributes to your organization’s overall mission.
C. Evaluation – Please explain how you will measure the effectiveness of your activities. Describe your criteria for a successful program and the results you expect to have achieved by the end of the funding period.
III. ATTACHMENTS – Please label all attachments to correspond to the bold-faced, capitalized items below.
A. Financial Information – Please provide the dates that each document covers.
- Your most recent financial statement, audited if available. This statement should reflect actual expenditures and funds received during your most recent fiscal year.
- Aligned side by side on the same page: your operating expense budgets for the current and most recent fiscal year.
- Aligned side by side on the same page: a list of foundation and corporate supporters and all other sources of income, with amounts, for your current and most recent fiscal year.
- Please list the foundations, corporation, and other sources that you are soliciting for funding and, to the best of your knowledge, the status of your proposal with each.
If project funding is requested:
- A current expense budget for the project. Indicate the specific uses of the requested grant, if possible.
- A list of all sources of income toward the project, actual and prospective with amounts.
B. Other Supporting Materials
- A list of your Board of Directors, with their affiliations.
- A copy of your most recent IRS letter indicating your agency’s tax exempt status.
- One-paragraph resume of the person directing the project.
- Your most recent annual report, if available.